Why personality development is important? Well, having a good personality means that you will be able to live your life in a better and more exciting way. Let’s imagine a situation – you are getting hired for a new job that you wanted to get for such a long time. What is the first thing that your interviewer notices when they see you? Your personality.
Let’s imagine another situation – you are meeting people at a work dinner and here the same question comes up – what is the first thing they notice in you? Your personality. So your personality is important as this is something that makes you stand out from others, makes other people interested in being with you and working with you.
There are more specific reasons why personality development is beneficial. Let’s take a look at some of them:
1. Developing your personality will allow you have more job opportunities.
It is not a secret that our world is super competitive, so having a good and strong personality is something that makes you stand out. If you lack confidence or let’ say you are shy then it may hurt your chances of getting the job you want even though you actually may be the best candidate for this job.
2. Developing your personality will help you gain more confidence
Developing your personality will help you become more confident, develop your communication skills, step out of your comfort zone and meet new people
3. Developing your personality will make you more creative.
When you work on your personality development you will inevitably change your mind-set for the better. It will help you find solutions to problems which you previously thought were unsolvable. Your pessimistic thinking will become more optimistic and you
4. Developing your personality will make you more resilient
Life has its ups and downs and whether you like it or not – it is just inevitable. Fortunately, personality development will help you see problems and difficult situations as opportunities, which will make you stronger and more resilient in the future. It will provide you with skills, which will help you get through difficult times, ultimately leading to success and boosting your confidence.
Now let’s try and answer the following question – how do we develop our personality? In this article I will give you thirteen personality development tips.
1. Stay optimistic. Life may be difficult and hard – but instead of regarding problems which will inevitably come your way with negativity – think about what they can teach you. What skills will you end up having once you manage to resolve your problems and go through difficult times? Changing your outlook from negative to positive will help you see life difficulties in a constructive way.
2. Make every effort to leave your comfort zone. Your comfort zone limits you and your personality growth. It makes you miss out on the opportunities that you could have. It prevents you from working on yourself and changing your life for the better. Embrace fear and change your life today! Start doing things that you have always wanted to do, visit and travel to places which have always fascinated you. Leaving your comfort zone will give you new experiences which will, in turn, reshape your thinking and make you a better and more confident person!
3. Communicate with other people and do networking. When you meet people, you widen your horizons, you boost your self-confidence. Spend time with interesting people, build meaningful relations with them and learn from them. Meet new people. Identify your hobbies and interests and then do a search on relevant networking groups in your area. Talk to your friends and colleagues to find out about local events and group meeting they go to. And if none of that works, just start your own networking group – social media platforms will help you with that.
4. Meditate and get clarity of mind. Meditation will help you manage your emotions and get rid of anxiety, which may prevent you from achieving your goals and stepping out of your comfort zone. It will help you focus on your ultimate goals and overcome your fears. You can learn about simple meditation tactics on the Internet!
5. Keep a journal. Writing about things that happened to you during the day or about the thoughts that came into your head, helps you think more constructively, reflect on your successes and think carefully about the areas of improvement. Likewise, writing a journal is a form of self-assessment, which will help you analyze your strengths and weaknesses.
6. Meet as many new people as possible. Even if you don’t feel like expanding your social circles, make an effort to make new friendships. New people in your life will teach new things and will pass their experience on to you. If your new friends come from other countries you will be exposed to new culture, views on life, opinions. They will make you more understanding, compassionate and open-minded. New connections are also likely to make you a more well-rounded individual.
7. Respect others. Respecting others and acknowledging each person’s basic dignity will bring better people in your life. If you treat people with respect, they will also treat you respectfully. This mutual respect will lead to positive connections and useful acquaintances. Listen to people carefully, be kind to others, be polite and be thankful.
8. Read more. Reading has a variety of benefits for one’s personal development. Apart from improving your speech and enhancing your vocabulary, reading allows you to learn from the experience of other people. It broadens your mind as you are looking at our life from different perspectives. Reading also makes you a good public speaker.
9. Find new hobbies and start doing new things. New hobbies will help you relieve stress and anxiety, take your mind off lingering stress, meet new people who share the same interests with you – all these things will boost your confidence and enhance your communication skills. Doing new things will stimulate your mind, make you see things around you in a refreshing way, provide you with a sense of achievement and build your character.
10. Find a mentor. Many psychologists assert that finding a person who can provide you with guidance and share their life experience is the key to developing yourself. Mentors possess invaluable knowledge and skills, they know important people in their industries and they can even give you specific instructions on how to achieve success in your field. Apart from learning from your mentors, they can help you expand your networks and meet new people – which will also be invaluable for your personal and career growth.
11. Simply keep learning. It may seem obvious but this piece of advice is essential for your personal development and success. Read, study, observe or simply listen to what other people say. You may say that you don’t have money to get a degree – but the truth is – you don’t have to pay to learn new things. Truth be told, nowadays there are so many resources that we can use to expand our knowledge. You can search information online, go to your local library or watch an informative documentary.
12. Don’t forget to take care of your health. Taking care of your body, physical and mental health is an essential part of your personal growth and development. Personal growth requires a lot of psychical and mental strength and this is why health is crucial. Eat a balanced diet, consume fruits and vegetables, avoid processed food and exercise daily. Also don’t forget about the importance of sleep – this is the time when our body charges its batteries and prepares to face a new day.
13. Learn to manage your time and use it correctly. Although it may seem surprising – many, many people these days spend hours daily wasting time without even realizing it. People watch television or spend hours surfing the internet without any particular purpose. How can we modify our habits to spend time more efficiently? There is no need to give up watching TV entirely, but instead, what you can do is watch something useful – for example, a documentary, you are interested in. When it comes to wasting time surfing the Internet – you can set a timer to increase your awareness of how much time you have already spent. These simple tips can help you reduce the amount of time you spend on useless and unnecessary things & will help you in your personality development.
If you follow these simple steps you are surely bound to develop your personality. Obviously, the whole process may take time and you have to be consistent with your new habits.
You may wonder – can I help my children develop their personality at an early age? Well, you can, but don’t overdo it. Dr. Rashmi Prakash tells us that there are simple ways to help our children develop their personality. They include: listen to your children carefully, be cautious with labelling, don’t expect your children to excel at everything they do, don’t compare your children to others, limit their screen time and encourage your kids to engage in sports.